At Everyone reading getting ahead Up and Getting Ahead FREE one-to-one tutoring in foundational reading skills this summer
30 Broad Street - Suite 402
New York, NY 10004
Catching Up and Getting Ahead
Again this summer, we are collaborating with the Museum of the City of New York to offer FREE one-to-one tutoring in foundational reading skills to struggling readers currently in third grade. Students will also participate in exciting museum education experiences, such as photography, map and model making. Details are below.
- Participants must have been born in 2008 and be entering fourth grade in September 2017. They should have specific difficulty in basic decoding skills. The program will notaddress vocabulary or comprehension issues.
- Students will be screened at Everyone Reading prior to the start of the program to be sure that they will need/benefit from it and to establish a baseline for their tutoring.
- The program will begin June 30 with Pretesting at Everyone Reading. After that, the program will run from July 5 – 28, Monday – Friday, 12:30-3:30pm at the Museum of the City of New York. Students must be present every day to benefit from the program. Absence or lateness will be cause for dismissal.
- Each child will receive one hour of individualized, one-to-one tutoring in foundational reading skills (phonics and fluency) in the Wilson Reading System. The tutoring will be provided by experienced teachers who are earning their Wilson Level I Certification.
- In addition, each child will participate in two hours of small-group, hands-on museum education experiences, such as photography, map making, and model building, with a focus on the history and geography of New York City.